Thursday 30 October 2014

Thoughts on Halloween

I don't know about you but if there's one time of the year that I really hate, it's Halloween! Oh it's not the apples, nuts and pumpkins I hate. They are all part of the harvest that God gave us. I love the fresh assorted nuts and all the apple pies. In fact, I remember going potato-picking when I was a child and when the tea was brought to the field, I was thrilled to get the money inside the apple pie! But it is the dark evil side of Halloween that I hate and I cannot endorse it as a Christian.


Is it not all just a bit of innocent fun for children? Google 'Halloween' and discover for yourself its pagan origins, its history and the original meaning of various Halloween practices like trick-or-treat, pumpkin lanterns. But I'm not blogging about that. I look around me and see Halloween costumes for children to dress up as witches, wizards, demons, vampires and ghosts. This really grieves me because as I read God's Word I see very clearly that He hates all occultic satanic practices and has forbidden His people to have anything to do with them. I wonder if parents actually realize the significance of what their children dress up as.  I fail to see how it is fun to imitate and play with that which God hates and forbids. If children are given the impression that this is all innocent fun....who's to say that their 'childish fun' will not proceed to the 'youthful fun' of participating in seances, ouija boards, witchcraft, attending mediums, etc?

Halloween costumes
Is Halloween not just another pagan festival like Christmas and Easter? No it's not. There's a big difference, Christmas is a time of giving when we can remember the Birth of Christ, Easter is a time of new life when we can remember the Death and Resurrection of Christ. But while Halloween precedes All Saints Day (1st November), it is a time of revelry in satanic things. Satan is real. He is the arch-enemy of God. His powers are real and he will use them to destroy you. When people in the New Testament repented of their sins and turned to Christ for salvation, they renounced all sorts of satanic activity (eg Acts 19v18-19). They didn't play with it.

Did I not take part in any Halloween activities when I was a child? Well Halloween was not as big a thing back then, especially in the country. But here's the extent of my involvement: We made masks in school out of cereal boxes, cut holes in them for eyes, nose and mouth, stuck on a piece of egg cartoon for the nose, used elastic bands to attach them to our ears, and maybe even a bit of wool for hair. We ate nuts and apple pies and I remember my father letting off some fireworks for us once or twice. We were not allowed to trick-or treat. However, I do remember once taking the old tilley lamp and walking down the road to granny's. My grandfather was sitting sleeping, so we sat quietly wearing those masks we made. When he awoke he jumped, startled and we all had a great laugh.

Do I give to Trick-or-Treaters who come to my door? Yes I do. You may consider me hypocritical but the way I see it is that I will not be hard or unkind to any children who come to my door. Many of these children come from homes where they don't know the teaching of God's Word.  Last year I had a quick chat with kids who came to my door, gave them a few sweets and an invitation to Children's Hour.

Did my children take part in any Halloween kids activities? Yes they did but it was not with my blessing or encouragement. I never bought them Halloween costumes or took them to Halloween parties. I always made them aware of the evil satanic side to it. They were not allowed to watch scary movies that opened their minds to satanic practices or caused them to have nightmares. Halloween is becoming bigger every year and I understand that it's not easy guiding children right concerning it.

You may not agree with me but maybe you will spare a thought for God's Word before you dress your kids up as witches, demons, vampires etc. And don't forget that fireworks are dangerous if not handled correctly. Also, spare a thought for your poor pets as fireworks do scare them.

If this blog has been helpful to you perhaps you would share it for me please.
 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1v7 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment