Wednesday 12 November 2014

Unfinished Work

Have you ever started something and never finished it? I have. It was at least 10 years ago I started to crochet a little table mat....and look how much I got done:

Unfinished table mat
I started out with the best of intentions to produce a beautiful piece of crocheting but unfortunately I only did about a quarter of it before quitting. It wasn't because it was difficult or I didn't like doing it. But it was slow work using crocheting thread and a 1 mm crochet hook. It was time consuming and I'm not so sure that Adrian would appreciate me sitting each night crocheting! So I quit because I wasn't prepared to put the time and effort into it.

Then, about 3 or 4 years ago I decided to take the wallpaper off the walls in every room of our house and just paint them....so much easier to keep. Sounds good but I've still two rooms never touched. You see, decorating is something that needs to be done from time to time but I don't enjoy doing it. My aim is to do it little by little over time. But I haven't finished the task because it costs too much to do it all at once and I don't enjoy doing it.

Look around and see examples of unfinished works.....building sites where foundations were laid and the houses were never built because the recession hit. You can probably think of a few examples in your own life too. I don't know your reasons for not completing some tasks but I'll suggest a few from my own experience. It may be because of bad planning, lack of funds, not enough time, bad health, failing strength and eyesight, too old, no longer interested, a broken relationship, got side-tracked, can't be bothered, too much effort, change of mind, or just don't like it.

However, like me, you may have started out with the best of intentions, hoping to do it sometime, maybe little by little, but not just yet. Remember the old saying, 'Procrastination is the thief of time.' So, what should we do about unfinished things in our lives? Stop and think! Is it what God wants you to do? If not, don't do it. Then, ask yourself....Is it worthwhile to complete it? Do I really want to do it? Is it needful, helpful and satisfying? Will it hinder my relationship with God and my family? Will it damage my health? Will it bring joy and blessing from God? Will it bring glory to God? I know that there are things that it is impossible to restart and complete but don't procrastinate on getting right with God.
"I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4v7 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment